Friday, February 20, 2009

Danger of Oven Cleaner

I picked up my neighbor yesterday to take her on an errand, and she told me that she got a bad burn at work. My neighbor is in housekeeping and works at a large banquet hall. When I asked her how she got burned, she said she was cleaning the oven, and the OVEN CLEANER burned through her pants to burn her skin! It was not a small burn, either!

When I looked up the ingredients in oven cleaner, is saw this main ingredient: monoethanolamine. So I looked up the safety data sheet.

Health Haz Acute And Chronic: ACUTE-INHALATION:IRRITATING & CAUSE COUGHING
& DISCOMFORT IN THE NOSE,THROAT & CHEST.SKIN:CAUSES PAIN,SWELLING & BURNS.
EYES:LIQUID CAUSES SEVERE IRRITATION,PAIN,TEARING,REDNESS,SWELLING &
CHEMICAL BURNS.INGESTION:MAY CAUSE CHEMICAL BURNS OF MOUTH,ESOPHAGUS,PAIN,
DIZZINESS,VOMITING & COMA. CHRONIC-KIDNEY & LIVER DAMAGE.
Carcinogenicity - NTP: NO
Carcinogenicity - IARC: NO
Carcinogenicity - OSHA: NO
Signs/Symptoms Of Overexp: SEE HEALTH HAZARDS SECTION.
Med Cond Aggravated By Exp: MAY AGGRAVATE AN EXISTING DERMATITIS, ASTHMA &
INFLAMMATORY OR FIBROTIC PULMONARY DISEASE
.

Then I found another news story where a small child died within 24 hours of ingesting a small quantity of oven cleaner! I don't know, these don't look like risks that are worth a quick and easy oven cleaning... My can of Eazy-off is now in the trash!
===========================================================================

10 comments:

  1. MEA, when being poured, creates a chemical mist in the air, and if you think you're not inhaling any of that oven cleaner coming from that aerosol can, the short bus will be by soon for you. There is also Diethanolamine and Sodium Hydroxide in Easy Off. Both are nasty. We have sodium hydroxide 50% at work and the ph is 14 (7 is neutral). If Easy Off is used on aluminum, the metal serves as a room-temperature catalyst, breaking down the NaOH and releasing flammable hydrogen gas. Good stuff!!

    If you really researched all the products in your home, you would be shocked at what goes in them and I guarantee you would never buy them again... This goes not only for household cleaners, but personal care products as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for helping me with my homework

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi there , I was working in the catering business and my boss told me use some oven cleaner to clean somthing else out , I did without any saftey procedures , I spent a month in bed so ill I really thought I may die , my skin from my hands to my face and legs feet etc swelled up and I got contact dermatatis , all I can say all chemicals and anything I use now I use in fear that my skin will flare up again ,, I think any of these products are lethal and should carry huge warnings to the user ,I hope your friend recovered from her ordeal .. take care jonas

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah easy off heavy duty oven cleaner is some bad stuff I found that out 2 days ago the hard way while cleaning my oven I apparently got some on my arm. 20 min later I was getting a burning sensation on my arm 30 min after that I had 2nd and 3rd degree burns over all over my left forearm and hand. LYE is some nasty stuff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, oven cleaner is not the only dangerous chemical that is used for household cleaning. I have had a hard time with chemicals due to asthma. Over the past 2 years we have begun using Norwex Enviro Products for all of our cleaning. Most of the time we use just their cloth and water. When more than that is needed, they have enzyme cleaners that you can use. One of the enzyme cleaners is an oven cleaner. I would suggest checking out www.greentreeclean.com for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My boyfriend works as a KP and he was ordered to clean one of the ovens with industrial strength oven cleaner.

    What were they given as protection? A thin pair of latex gloves. He has burnt fingers, a burnt arm and yellow peeling fingernails. They didn't even give them goggles or a facemask!

    He reeked of bleach when he got in and I just shoved him straight in the shower. I'm SO ANGRY! It's completely illegal to get them to do that with just latex gloves! UGGH! He plans on getting a new job and reporting the hell out of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting the data sheet. Really scary stuff. People must pay more attention when buying any sort of cleaning product from the store. And of course always wear the necessary protective clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have used oven cleaner numerous times but this time was different......it burned the hair off my upper arm and it now looks like road rash......tomorrrow I buy a self cleaning oven scary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lemon juice is another cleanser which is easy to find. An electric kettle or jug will come clean if a lemon is cut up, placed in the receptacle and brought to the boil. Let the water stand till cold and repeat if necessary. Lemon juice in water makes an effective bleach. Soaking whites in a bucket of soapy water together with a cup of lemon juice will help whiten them. The same quantity of cloudy ammonia will have a similar effect.

    Oven Cleaning Melbourne | Oven Cleaning Gold Coast

    ReplyDelete